Re: Suspected Postgres Datacorruption

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sumeet Jauhar <sumeet(dot)jauhar(at)gmail(dot)com>, bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suspected Postgres Datacorruption
Date: 2011-08-05 03:05:07
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I would upgrade to either 8.2 or 9.0 and here's my reasons. with 8.2
> you still have implicit casts, which your application may depend upon.
> Most other changes between 7.4 and 8.2 were pretty small, so if
> you've got a lot of implicit casts in your SQL, 8.2 will be the least
> painful of the upgrades to late model pgsqls. HOWEVER, 8.2 is getting
> pretty old now and performance wise 9.0 will pretty handily beat it.
> In terms of stability, there are no reports of any versions after
> about 8.1 or 8.2 being particularly unstable, but keep in mind that
> support for 8.1 and 8.2 will be ending / may have ended already, so if
> you can possibly test against 9.0 and see if it works well enough,
> then you should really do so.

See:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy
8.1 is dead already, 8.2 will go off life support this December.

So if you're getting involved in a major-version upgrade now, you
really owe it to yourself to jump to 8.4 or later. IMO anyway.

(FWIW, I know of no reason to think that 8.4->9.0 is a bigger jump
than any other major-release bump from the application compatibility
standpoint. Scott is correct to identify the removal of some implicit
casts-to-text in 8.3 as the single largest pain point we've introduced
in recent memory. Personally I'm betting that this will be eclipsed
by the shift to standard_conforming_strings=on in 9.1 ...)