Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

From: Sutou Kouhei <kou(at)clear-code(dot)com>
To: sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Date: 2024-10-08 08:39:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

In <CAD21AoD67TAO6KkBecKBsLgR1tgYJS1AwiN9NQJSLE0WYw8pDA(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
"Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations" on Mon, 7 Oct 2024 15:23:08 -0700,
Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I've run the same benchmark script on my various machines (Mac, Linux
> (with Intel CPU and Ryzen CPU) and Raspberry Pi etc). I've not
> investigated the results in depth yet but let me share the results.
> Please find the attached file, extensible_copy_benchmark_20241007.pdf.
>
> In the benchmark, I've applied the v20 patch set and 'master' in the
> result refers to a19f83f87966. And I disabled CPU turbo boost where
> possible. Overall, v20 patch got a similar or better performance in
> both COPY FROM and COPY TO compared to master except for on MacOS. I'm
> not sure that changes made to master since the last benchmark run by
> Tomas and Suto-san might contribute to these results. I'll try to
> investigate the performance regression that happened on MacOS. I think
> that other performance differences in my results seem to be within
> noises and could be acceptable. Of course, it would be great if others
> also could try to run benchmark tests.

Thanks! They're interesting...

I've run the same benchmark script for the v20 patch set on
the same Intel Core machine when I used for the v19 patch
set:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240805.072012.2006870620510018355.kou%40clear-code.com

See the attached v{19,20}-*-result.pdf. (v19-*-result.pdf is
the same PDF attached in the above e-mail.) There are no
significant differences. So I think that there are no
related changes in master...

Thanks,
--
kou

Attachment Content-Type Size
v19-intel-core-i7-3770-result.pdf application/pdf 122.6 KB
v20-intel-core-i7-3770-result.pdf application/pdf 122.6 KB