Re: Inconsistency with EXPLAIN ANALYZE CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Kirill Reshke <reshkekirill(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inconsistency with EXPLAIN ANALYZE CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW
Date: 2024-08-06 16:06:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 1 Aug 2024 23:41:18 +0500
Kirill Reshke <reshkekirill(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2024 at 23:27, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> > Relatedly, if we can EXPLAIN a CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW, perhaps we
> > should be able to EXPLAIN a REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, too?
> Sure

REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW consists of not only the view query
execution in refresh_matview_datafill but also refresh_by_heap_swap
or refresh_by_match_merge. The former doesn't execute any query, so
it would not a problem, but the latter executes additional queries
including SELECT, some DDL, DELETE, and INSERT.

If we would make EXPLAIN support REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY
command, how should we handle these additional queries?

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>