Re: Confine vacuum skip logic to lazy_scan_skip

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Confine vacuum skip logic to lazy_scan_skip
Date: 2024-07-07 14:49:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 05:36:25PM -0400, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> I've attached a WIP v11 streaming vacuum patch set here that is
> rebased over master (by Thomas), so that I could add a CF entry for
> it. It still has the problem with the extra WAL write and fsync calls
> investigated by Thomas above. Thomas has some work in progress doing
> streaming write-behind to alleviate the issues with the buffer access
> strategy and streaming reads. When he gets a version of that ready to
> share, he will start a new "Streaming Vacuum" thread.

To avoid reviewing the wrong patch, I'm writing to verify the status here.
This is Needs Review in the commitfest. I think one of these two holds:

1. Needs Review is valid.
2. It's actually Waiting on Author. You're commissioning a review of the
future-thread patch, not this one.

If it's (1), given the WIP marking, what is the scope of the review you seek?
I'm guessing performance is out of scope; what else is in or out of scope?