Re: gamma() and lgamma() functions

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Stepan Neretin <sncfmgg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gamma() and lgamma() functions
Date: 2024-07-01 15:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Jul-01, Stepan Neretin wrote:

> I have one notice:
> ERROR: value out of range: overflow. I think we need to add information
> about the available ranges in the error message

I think this is a project of its own. The error comes from calling
float_overflow_error(), which is a generic routine used in several
functions which have different overflow conditions. It's not clear to
me that throwing errors listing the specific range for each case is
worth the effort.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Escucha y olvidarás; ve y recordarás; haz y entenderás" (Confucio)