Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Atkinson <andyatkinson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Samay Sharma <samay(at)tembo(dot)io>
Subject: Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL
Date: 2024-05-14 15:54:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 10:05:01AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 13.05.24 17:26, Nathan Bossart wrote:
>> On Sun, May 12, 2024 at 05:17:42PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> > I don't know, I find these files kind of "yelling". It's fine to have a
>> > couple, but now it's getting a bit much, and there are more that could be
>> > added.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that the contents are too
>> blunt? That there are too many files? Something else?
>
> I mean the all-caps file names, cluttering up the top-level directory.

It looks like we could also put these files in .github/ or docs/ to avoid
the clutter.

>> > If we want to enhance the GitHub experience, we can also add these files to
>> > the organization instead: https://docs.github.com/en/communities/setting-up-your-project-for-healthy-contributions/creating-a-default-community-health-file
>>
>> This was the intent of my patch. There might be a few others that we could
>> use, but I figured we could start with the low-hanging fruit that would
>> have the most impact on the GitHub experience.
>
> My point is, in order to get that enhanced GitHub experience, you don't
> actually have to commit these files into the individual source code
> repository. You can add them to the organization and they will apply to all
> repositories under the organization. This is explained at the above link.

Oh, I apologize, my brain skipped over the word "organization" in your
message.

> However, I don't think these files are actually that useful. People can go
> to the web site to find out about things about the PostgreSQL community. We
> don't need to add bunch of $X.md files that just say, essentially, got to
> postgresql.org/$X.

That's a reasonable stance. I think the main argument in favor of these
extra files is to make things a tad more accessible to folks who are
accustomed to using GitHub when contributing to open-source projects, but
you're right that this information is already pretty easy to find.

--
Nathan Bossart