Re: BUG #17967: [msvc-x86] Failed to build with error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __BitScanReverse64 referen

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Mo Youmiu <moyoumiu(at)outlook(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17967: [msvc-x86] Failed to build with error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __BitScanReverse64 referen
Date: 2023-06-12 10:54:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello Mo Youmiu,

On 2023-Jun-08, Mo Youmiu wrote:

> Thanks for your replies and corrections, and apologies for the confusing version I mentioned.
>
> For this commit, PostgreSQL was successfully built with msvc on both x86 and amd64.
>
> Glad my report was helpful.

You know what else would be extremely helpful? A buildfarm animal that
runs with this configuration. We should have noticed this problem as
soon as that problematic commit was introduced; a buildfarm animal would
have alerted us to it pretty much immediately rather than four months
after the fact. Would you be in a position to running one? It's a
moderately easy task, you just need to keep a machine (or VM) running
permanently. You can find instructions here:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Buildfarm_Howto

Regards

--
Álvaro Herrera