Re: Maintaining accents with "COPY" ?

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maintaining accents with "COPY" ?
Date: 2023-05-25 11:26:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2023-05-25 07:14:40 +0000, Laura Smith wrote:
> I'm currently doing a CSV export using COPY:
>
> COPY (select * from foo where bar='foo') TO '/tmp/bar.csv' DELIMITER ',' CSV HEADER;
>

> This works great apart from accents are not preserved in the output,
> for example é gets converted to random characters, e.g. √© or similar.

How do you check the output?

If a single character is turned into 2 or 3 characters the issue is
usually that the program which produces the output (in the case of COPY
I think that would be the PostgreSQL server, not the client) produces
UTF-8, but the program consuming it expects an 8-bit character set
(typically windows-1252). See if oyu can tell that program that the file
is in UTF-8.

> How can I preserve accents ?

They probably already are preserved.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"