Re: Tsearch2 update for Win32.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tsearch2 update for Win32.
Date: 2004-09-08 14:49:10
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
>> Oh. Hmm ... wouldn't it be easier and safer to launch "psql <script"
>> as a subprocess?

> I'd say no. Executing processes from the installer environment can be a
> headache (we've had enough problems with initdb already..). And you have
> to go through all the weirdness with the commandline quoting etc on
> win32... It's a lot easier to execute a SQL script line-by-line. Which
> also lets us trap the errors easier etc.

I was about to mention trapping errors as being a likely weak spot of
custom-script-execution code. And have you duplicated psql's rather
extensive logic for determining where SQL commands end? I'll get a bit
annoyed if you come back later and tell us not to use dollar quoting
in contrib scripts, or something like that.

However, the COPY->INSERT change alone is below my threshold of pain,
so I won't complain too hard. I just wanted to be sure you'd really
thought about the implications of rolling your own script executor.