Re: delete translations for long-unmaintained languages from git?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: delete translations for long-unmaintained languages from git?
Date: 2022-11-21 17:49:32
Lists: pgsql-translators

On 2022-Nov-21, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I've been wondering whether we should delete translations for
> long-unmaintained languages from git, rather than keeping the barely usable
> files around indefinitely.

Yeah, let's.

> Extreme examples are "af" and "fa", but there
> could be a few more, depending on where we'd set the cutoff.

I'd remove anything that hasn't had a commit since the branch for 11.
That seems to give the following list
af fa hr hu nb nl pl sk sl ta

I'm looking at the output from this
for i in [a-z][a-z]; do echo -n "$i: " ; git log --oneline --no-show-signature --since "2018-04-16" $i | head -1; echo "" ; done
(There's probably a better way to do this)

'pl' is a surprise, considering that it even has a file with 100%
translation. However, there are no commits since 2017. Maybe back off
on this one, because back then it was really still alive.

(Lack of) 'ro' is also a surprise looking at the table. There was a
typo fix recently there, but I don't think we should keep that language
because of that; in reality there's been no translation update since
2011.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/