Re: XLogReadRecord() error in XlogReadTwoPhaseData()

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgbf(at)twiska(dot)com, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XLogReadRecord() error in XlogReadTwoPhaseData()
Date: 2022-01-23 23:29:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 09:42:13AM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I'm less
> sure it makes sense to do anything to support the presumed bogus
> zeroes bug for (probably) no real users, especially before we've even
> reported it and heard some analysis, for example acceptance that it's
> broken and confirmation that this really is just a sparc problem.

Got it. I've already done a bad thing leaving the buildfarm broken for three
months, so I don't want to let the buildfarm wait for a kernel fix. These are
the two main options I'm seeing now:

(a) Modify the tests so the affected animals can skip affected tests by
setting an environment variable, named PG_TEST_HAS_WAL_READ_BUG or similar.

(b) Remove --enable-tap-tests from affected animals.

Do you have a preference among those two or some other option that gets the
buildfarm green on a predictable schedule? I somewhat prefer (a), since
--enable-tap-tests is where most of the interesting buildfarm reports happen
these days.