Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig
Date: 2022-01-23 23:24:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The relevant part of distutils-install-layout.diff explaining this is:

> +(0)
> + Starting with Python-2.6 Debian/Ubuntu uses for the Python which comes within
> + the Linux distribution a non-default name for the installation directory. This
> + is to avoid overwriting of the python modules which come with the distribution,
> + which unfortunately is the upstream behaviour of the installation tools.

Yeah, I figured that the explanation was something like that. Too bad
they didn't get it right.

I stopped to wonder if maybe the problem is that sysconfig.py is from the
"different distribution" that they're worried about here, but it doesn't
look like it:

tgl(at)rpi3:~$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py
libpython2.7-minimal:armhf: /usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py
tgl(at)rpi3:~$ dpkg -S /usr/include/python2.7/Python.h
libpython2.7-dev:armhf: /usr/include/python2.7/Python.h

Oh well. For a moment there I thought maybe this was a "missing
dev package" kind of problem, but it's hard to come to any other
conclusion than "packager screwed up".