Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date: 2021-12-09 02:46:04
Lists: pgsql-committers

Hi,

On 2021-12-08 21:18:54 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Git appears to install itself in front of c:\windows\system32 in PATH (which
> > contains the system tar). Which I think means that after edc2332550 this will
> > have to be manually addressed by most people running tests on windows
> > manually? That doesn't seem great :(
>
> Can we make the default be the system tar (ie a full path, not
> just "tar")? I have no idea if that's a stable thing on Windows ...

It's not stable, but afaict all the "instability" can be handled by relying on
a system-set environment variable... Referencing it as
$ENV{SYSTEMROOT}/system32/tar.exe ought to work? I'll test that approach via
CI, but of course that won't verify that it works in all kinds of odd
installations.

Greetings,

Andres Freund