Re: Release 14 Schedule

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release 14 Schedule
Date: 2021-09-19 16:32:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 01:37:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> We don't yet have a list-of-major-features for the v14 release notes.
> Anybody care to propose one?

. Allow extended statistics on column expressions;
. Memoize node which can improve speed of nested loop joins;
. Allow use of LZ4 compression for faster access to TOASTed fields;
. JSONB and H-store types may be subscripted, as may be participating data types provided by extensions.
. Many improvements to performance of VACUUM;

Maybe these??
Improve the performance of updates/deletes on partitioned tables when only a few partitions are affected (Amit Langote, Tom Lane)
Add SQL-standard SEARCH and CYCLE clauses for common table expressions (Peter Eisentraut)
Allow REINDEX to process all child tables or indexes of a partitioned relation (Justin Pryzby, Michael Paquier)

BTW I wondered if this should be mentioned as an incompatibile change:

commit 3d351d916b20534f973eda760cde17d96545d4c4
Redefine pg_class.reltuples to be -1 before the first VACUUM or ANALYZE.

--
Justin