Re: Can we get rid of repeated queries from pg_dump?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can we get rid of repeated queries from pg_dump?
Date: 2021-08-29 13:13:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Aug-28, Tom Lane wrote:

> Here is a second patch, quite independent of the first one, that
> gets rid of some other repetitive queries.

Another pointlessly repetitive query is in getTriggers, which we run
once per table to be dumped containing triggers. We could reduce that
by running it in bulk for many relations at a time. I suppose it's
normally not hurtful, but as we grow the number of partitions we allow
it's going to become a problem.

No patch from me for now — if someone wantw to volunteer one, it looks
simple enough ...

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/