Re: BUG #17073: docs - "Improve signal handling reliability"

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17073: docs - "Improve signal handling reliability"
Date: 2021-07-01 01:57:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2021-Jun-30, David G. Johnston wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 5:54 PM Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
> wrote:

> > Since this explains the commit 2945a488a, it's better to describe
> > something like the following?

> The wording still needs some work...but is this even release note worthy?
>
> We forget to check for interrupts before sleeping in an otherwise busy-wait
> loop. We corrected the oversight.

Yeah, it's a good question. I wonder if this should be back-patched, so
it'd be noted as a bugfix in the next set of minors rather than as a new
feature for 14.

(It's not a busy-wait loop, just a sleep, unless I misunderstand.)

> Most of what I'm reading says this only impacted the startup of the standby
> process; normal operations already worked correctly. Is that correct?

Yes, because the change is in WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable().

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Right now the sectors on the hard disk run clockwise, but I heard a rumor that