Re: pgsql: Add support for partitioned tables and indexes in REINDEX

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add support for partitioned tables and indexes in REINDEX
Date: 2020-09-08 02:39:12
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 10:16:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
>> Add support for partitioned tables and indexes in REINDEX
>
> Buildfarm isn't finding the isolation test to be stable.

Yes, I have noticed the failure, and waited for more data to gather
while thinking about what I could do. I have not come up with
anything, at least yet, so for now I have just removed the test. The
thing was rather limited as-is as it was able just interact with the
first transaction of REINDEX building the list of partitions.
Perhaps, by using a fourth session taking a SHARE lock while another
uses at least a SHARE UPDATE EXCLUSIVE lock on one of the partitions,
it should be possible to make REINDEX wait in one of its inner
transactions for a partition. It may be tricky to make that reliable
for the buildfarm though.
--
Michael