Re: pgsql: Refactor pg_get_line() to expose an alternative StringInfo-based

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Refactor pg_get_line() to expose an alternative StringInfo-based
Date: 2020-09-07 17:34:38
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 2020-Sep-07, Tom Lane wrote:

> If there were something to be on the warpath about, it's that initdb
> is pulling in such an obviously backend-only header as that. I wonder
> if we should refactor to fix that.
>
> Quick experimentation says that the symbols initdb actually needs out
> of that header are
>
> DEFAULT_MIN_WAL_SEGS
> DEFAULT_MAX_WAL_SEGS
> IsValidWalSegSize()

Hmm, if we wanted to clean things up I think we should look at what
other things from xlog_internal.h are being used by other frontend
programs; for example it looks like fe_utils/archive.c is pulling
xlog_internal.h just to get XLOGDIR, while pg_controldata needs just
MAXFNAMELEN, XLogFileName and XLByteToSeg (apart from IsValidWalSegSize).

Maybe there's room for a new header that serves the purpose of working
with WAL segment files.