Re: Strategy for materialisation and centralisation of data

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strategy for materialisation and centralisation of data
Date: 2020-05-21 20:52:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On 21/05/20, Karsten Hilbert (Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 03:35:59PM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
>
> > We have quite a few databases of type a and many of type b in a cluster.
> > Both a and b types are fairly complex and are different solutions to a
> > similar problem domain. All the databases are very read-centric, and all
> > database interaction is currently through plpgsql with no materialised
> > data.
> >
> > Some organisations have several type a and many type b databases, and
> > need to query these in a homogeneous manner. We presently do this with
> > many middleware requests or pl/proxy. An a or b type database belongs to
> > 0 or 1 organisations.
>
> Might postgres_fdw help in any way ?

Thanks for the suggestion. As I noted we are already using pl/proxy and
it works well, although we are soaking up a lot of connections with it.
From my reading of the postgres_fdw docs it is much more featureful than
pl/proxy but it is likely to have the same connection characteristics.

The main issues we're trying to solve is standardising data access
through (I think) materialisation and centralisation.

Rory