Re: branching time

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-translators(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: branching time
Date: 2019-04-26 18:14:03
Lists: pgsql-translators

On 2019-Apr-26, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> The numbers have gone down in a pretty horrid way for this new branch,
> and I suspect that \n removal (or something very similar) because of
> frontend message centralization is the culprit. What about updating
> translations centrally in some automated way? I think it's worth a
> small programming effort (I think msgfilter can do that), since
> otherwise translators are going to be overwhelmed.

I think it's quite possible to do this with msgfilter ... but you need
to read the 'info' documentation, not the 'man' documentation, because
the latter is completely useless.

I think we need to write a filter program that compares MSGFILTER_MSGID
to MSGFILTER_PREV_MSGID, and if the only difference is the leading "%s: "
and the trailing "\n", then strip those thing from stdin and write that
to stdout. Then invoke that filter for every .po in the new branch.
That should restore the translated percentages to much better values,
raising morale.