Re: question about HTTP API

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Tipton <andrew(at)kiwidrew(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: question about HTTP API
Date: 2013-08-09 16:48:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Agreed. Too bad you can't do this as an extension, it would allow you
> to rev releases a lot faster than once a year.

> Actually, maybe you should look at "what is the minimum patch required
> to enable a webserver extension", with the idea that most of the
> webserver code would still live outside the core? That way you could
> continue to develop it a lot faster.

+1. I think for reasons such as security, a lot of people would rather
*not* see any such thing in core anyway, independent of development
issues. It's also far from clear that there is only one desirable
behavior of this sort, so a design path that offers the possibility
of multiple webserver implementations as separate extensions seems
attractive.