Re: PostgreSQL Volume Question

From: Steven Lembark <lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Volume Question
Date: 2018-06-15 13:20:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:33:54 -0700
Data Ace <dataace9(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the community.
>
> Recently, I've been involved in a project that develops a social
> network data analysis service (and my client's DBMS is based on
> PostgreSQL). I need to gather huge volume of unstructured raw data
> for this project, and the problem is that with PostgreSQL, it would
> be so dfficult to handle this kind of data. Are there any PG
> extension modules or methods that are recommended for my project?

"huge" by modern standards is Petabytes, which might require some
specialized database service for a data lake.

Short of that look up the "jsonb" data type in Postgres.
The nice thing about using PG for this is that you can keep enough
identifying and metadata in a relational system where it is easier
to query and the documents in jsonb where they are still accessable.

--
Steven Lembark 1505 National Ave
Workhorse Computing Rockford, IL 61103