Re: BUG #15206: Can not import CSV into PostgreSQL

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: Milorad Krstevski <miloradkrstevski(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15206: Can not import CSV into PostgreSQL
Date: 2018-05-20 08:15:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2018-05-19 17:05:42 +0200, Milorad Krstevski wrote:
> So first I have to create all (for example 50 columns and define them in data
> type) and then import? That is not the case with any other db.

I am quite certain that it is also the case for Oracle and MySQL.

I suspect that it is true for all SQL databases, since SQL distinguishes
between data definition (DDL) and data manipulation (DML) statements.
to change your data definition as a side effect.

Which database can automatically create columns while loading a CSV file
into a table?

(It is of course possible to write a program which guesses the types of
the columns from the contents of the CSV file and then issues an
appropriate CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE statement. I wrote one 20 years
ago. But that's an application program, not part of the database.)

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | we build much bigger, better disasters now
|_|_) | | because we have much more sophisticated
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Ross Anderson <https://www.edge.org/>