Re: Naming conventions for column names

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Sachin Kotwal <kotsachin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Naming conventions for column names
Date: 2017-11-06 15:25:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Sachin Kotwal wrote:

> I believe these naming conventions will be at two levels:
>
> 1. Internal code of PostgreSQL , structures getting used internally
> 2. SQL/C functions get executed at the time of database initialization to
> create default objects and system catalogs.
>

> I will see how much modifications/efforts need to be done and will come
> back again if it is feasible.
>
> My intension is to improve naming conventions and increase naming string
> where naming conventions are correct but make shorten.

I think the proper amount of effort to rename existing system catalog
columns is zero.

Also, I think it's pretty difficult to change column names on views that
have already been released. The compatibility break for existing tools
is just too large.

A valuable service would be to ensure that any new views, and new
columns on existing views, have sensible names.