BUG #14612: update monitor is not proxy aware, and throws up a pop-up warning

From: ygutfreund(at)draper(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14612: update monitor is not proxy aware, and throws up a pop-up warning
Date: 2017-04-04 15:29:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 14612
Logged by: Steven Gutfreund
Email address: ygutfreund(at)draper(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.2
Operating system: windows 10

I am running PostGRESQL 9.6 on windows 10

It seems it has an update monitor that does not use any information about
the proxy agent from Windows (we have a corporate proxy). It also does not
look at the environment variables HTTP_PROXY or HTTPS_PROXY (which I have
set to add credentials via CNTLM for our corporate firewall). This is useful
for programs such as NPM and GIT which need to get past our outgoing
firewall.

So I am getting the following message every 10 or some minutes as a pop up
from a program called:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\postgresql\updatemonitor\bin\UpdManager.exe"
--execute "D:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin\stackbuilder.exe"

The message is very deceiving, but I tracked down the program, and it is the
one listed above.

See this article for the pictures of the screen popup

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/168402/connection-timeout-errors-from-postgres-update-monitor-postgres-9-6#168402