Is the "x ms" info reliable?

From: hushthatbush(at)hushmail(dot)com
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is the "x ms" info reliable?
Date: 2015-01-17 20:13:42
Lists: pgadmin-support

In the query window's bottom-right corner, after running a query, it
says how long it took. It's ambiguous how exactly this is is
calculated. It seems to not take into account the lag from the
slow-ass SSH tunnel.

Basically, I wanna know how fast the command *actually* is. Not how
long it took to run and then get delivered to pgAdmin via the
incredibly sluggish SSH tunnel. The actual, in-app query is run on the
same machine, and should be much, much faster.

Is it possible to get this "real time" rather than the "pointless
time"?

PS: I hate the command-line psql tool and I don't want anything to do
with it.