Re: PostgreSQL hours

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL hours
Date: 2013-09-05 06:23:55
Lists: sfpug

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 07:38:03PM -0700, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an idea of arranging a kind of PG hour meetups several times a
> week where enthusiasts, like me, could gather together to answer
> questions of visitors, help them with their tasks in real environment,
> networking, and just to chat.

Some thoughts:

How does this differ from what can do on the IRC channel on Freenode?

Several consultancies have kicked off successfully due at least in
part to that sort of community participation, so it's known territory.

Doing this in person has all the usual up-sides of human interaction,
and the usual downsides of convening at a particular time and place.

Would you consider trying a few virtual ones on Freenode first? I
suspect they'd get you some idea of what kind of participation you'd
get in real life, and they're relatively cheap as far as committed
resources go in terms of drumming up interest.

Your suggestion does go to something at least Josh and I have been
mulling over for some time, which is that there's too much stuff
happening to get covered in a single monthly meeting. This is an
excellent problem for a local community such as ours to have.

Cheers,
David.

> Regarding this I have several questions
> to discuss with the community:
>
> 1. What do you think about it, is worth doing at all? My thought is
> that it would be nice to make a step from mailing to some verbal
> things. For some people it would be very useful to have some kind of
> micro-masterclasses around their problems.
>
> 2. Are there any similar experiences and how things are with them? I
> know about MongoDB office hours where they do kind of the same.
>
> 3. When it would be better to arrange these meetups? I think about
> Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-7PM.
>
> 4. What kind of place it would be better to arrange them? May be
> coffee shops or similar places that are not very crowded at this time
> of day.
>
> 5. Any other thoughts?
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Sergey Konoplev
> PostgreSQL Consultant and DBA
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
> +1 (415) 867-9984, +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
> gray(dot)ru(at)gmail(dot)com

Remember to vote!