Re: One Role, Two Passwords

From: Garick Hamlin <ghamlin(at)isc(dot)upenn(dot)edu>
To: Daniel Farina <drfarina(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One Role, Two Passwords
Date: 2011-01-21 16:00:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:55:42PM -0500, Daniel Farina wrote:
> The problem is that running a reliable,
> centralized LDAP service is not justifiable as compared to role
> mangling on a per-node level, and the role mangling seems has some
> shortcomings that are negotiable with gritted teeth.

Wandering slightly off-topic here...

I often find RADIUS is an easier way to setup a highly available
(and perhaps too flexible) AuthN/AuthZ service, but I've never used
PG's RADIUS implementation. I was curious and I took a look at
the documentation...

I can't tell if PG supports querying a secondary RADIUS server?

I don't see how I would do it with the syntax here ...
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/auth-methods.html

Are multiple servers not supported?

Garick