[Pljava-dev] pljava error logging levels

From: fluca1978 at infinito(dot)it (Luca Ferrari)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] pljava error logging levels
Date: 2010-07-27 07:00:33
Lists: pljava-dev

On Monday, July 26, 2010 11:08:34 pm Caleb Welton's cat walking on the
keyboard wrote:
> Well the original question I asked was "Why does PL/Java try to filter log
> levels at all?". If we simply disabled the log filtering from PL/Java and
> let the log filtering happen naturally in Postgres then all of these
> problems just go away.
>
> This could be accomplished using the attached patch.
>
> Alternatively, significant improvement could be made by at least setting
> the log level correctly at init time by checking both log_min_messages AND
> client_min_messages and setting the log level to whichever is FINER
> grained logging. But since this still doesn't address changes to the
> GUCs over time it seems like a less desirable approach.

The patch is doing exactly this: choosing the finer logging level between
client and log_min_messages, but this is a static setup, as you say. I think
we should have a way to get notified of when the server settings have changed.
Moreover, what happen if you change the client_min_messages within an
interactive session before calling a Java method? With a setup done at the
initialization phase we could have the same problem of logs missed.
So I guess we should re-initialize log levels at least as soon as the handler
is created (not only at the jvm initialization) and maybe each time (or each
n-times) the publish method is called. That's why I proposed a threaded
solution. However, the best is to be notified about changes in the configuration
of the session and/or of the server.

Luca