Re: Substring

From: Raj Mathur <raju(at)linux-delhi(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Substring
Date: 2009-09-05 02:32:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Saturday 05 Sep 2009, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> I have an sql script function that take one text parameter "funct
> (text)", what I need to do is the following:
>
> If the parameter name is string and its value was for example "abcd"
> then I need to do a query based on ab and then based on the abc, how?
>
> Example:
>
> SELECT * from voipdb where prefix like string
>
> But I need the string to be ab and then to be abc? How I can assign
> the string to the first character and then to the first and second?
> In other words, how can I can take part of the string to do query on
> it?

From your example the following brute-force method should work (not
tested):

select * from voipdb where prefix like substring(string from 1 for 2) ||
'%' or prefix like substring(string from 1 for 3) || '%';

However, I don't understand why you'd want to search for both 'ab' and
'abc' in the same query, since the first condition is a superset of the
second one.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur raju(at)kandalaya(dot)org http://kandalaya.org/
GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5 0FEF C968 D0EF CC68 D17F