Re: [Q] optmizing postgres for 'single client' / many small queries

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: V S P <toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm>, postgres general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Q] optmizing postgres for 'single client' / many small queries
Date: 2009-09-02 23:35:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:45:39PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "V S P" <toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm> writes:
> > Well, actually somebody has written a C++ ORM
> > [ that is causing all your problems and you say you can't discard ]
>
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any ORM anywhere that
> doesn't suck? They seem to be uniformly awful, at least in terms of
> their interfaces to SQL databases. If there were some we could
> recommend, maybe people would be less stuck with these bogus legacy
> architectures.

Hibernate has the very nice feature of being able to get out of your
way. Properly used, it can keep completely out of the business of
making (wrong) guesses based on DDL, which is what ORMs often do.
DBIx::Class <http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBIx-Class/> has gone a long
way in the right direction.

Ones which (attempt to) dictate decisions about DDL are just off the
map. :P

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!