Re: BUG #4920: need case-insensitive searches

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4920: need case-insensitive searches
Date: 2009-07-14 13:37:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 01:28:30PM +0000, Michael Gould wrote:
> I can see why people use case sensitive searches but it would be nice if
> there was either a setup option in the init program or a encoding and locale
> that would allow for case insenstive searches without having to use a
> non-standard Ilike search. In out database for example, we have no text
> fields that need a case sensitive index or search.

In 8.4, the citext module provides you a case-insensitive data type. In
earlier versions, you might store uppper(text_field) in the database instead
of or in addition to the original text_field value.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/citext.html

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation