BUG #4920: need case-insensitive searches

From: "Michael Gould" <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4920: need case-insensitive searches
Date: 2009-07-14 13:28:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4920
Logged by: Michael Gould
Email address: mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: all
Operating system: Windows 2008 Server
Details:

I can see why people use case sensitive searches but it would be nice if
there was either a setup option in the init program or a encoding and locale
that would allow for case insenstive searches without having to use a
non-standard Ilike search. In out database for example, we have no text
fields that need a case sensitive index or search.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use this feature. I remember years
ago I was told that Sybase ASE was case sensitive only but the dba found a
encoding and locale that allowed for case insensitive searches.

Unless Postgres doesn't have a performance problem with upper(column) =
upper(column) then I would think it would be avantageous to support case
insensitive searches in which indexes could also be case insensitive.

Best Regards

Michael Gould