Re: ISO TESTS for a Pg lexer+parser

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Kynn Jones <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISO TESTS for a Pg lexer+parser
Date: 2007-07-06 19:29:01
Lists: pgsql-general

* Kynn Jones (kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Hi! I am in the process of writing a PostgreSQL lexer/parser in Perl,
> because everything else I've found in this area is too buggy. I'm
> basing this lexer/parser on the lexer and parser encoded respectively
> in scan.l and gram.y under src/backend/parser.
>
> I'm looking for a solid collection of test cases to test my
> lexer/parser. (I'm hoping that such a collection has already been
> produced to test the PostgreSQL yacc-generated parser that comes with
> the PostgreSQL distribution.)
>
> (Alternatively, if a non-flaky, rock-solid, and easily customizable Pg
> parser in Perl already exists please let me know.)

Two things, one, couldn't you just make the lexer/parser in PG into a
C library and then write bindings for it for use under Perl? Seems like
that'd be more sane. Second, PG's got a regression test suite that
would probably work decently for testing your lexer/parser. You might
have to filter out '\' commands, if there are any, and things like that.

Enjoy,

Stephen