Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Date: 2006-12-10 23:24:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Well, I'd like a way of making EXPLAIN ANALYZE return something
> useful within a reasonable amount of time. We can define that as the
> amount of time that the user considers is their goal for the query.

What sort of "useful" results would you expect to be able to see from
such an aborted EXPLAIN ANALYZE? I cannot quite imagine what
instructive value a partially executed plan output would have. It's
not like we can somehow ensure executing an equal proportion of each
plan node or something. Do you have a specific case in mind?

--
Peter Eisentraut