1st Linux Attempt -> I'm Discombobulated...

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 1st Linux Attempt -> I'm Discombobulated...
Date: 2006-05-06 06:15:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

okay, i'm a bit lost here.

1. i have postgresql installed on my system.
2. postgres user exists.
3. i created 3 dbs:

depot_development
depot_test
depot_production

4. i log into postgres user
5. psql -l yields

sh-3.1$ psql -l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-------------------+----------+----------
depot_development | postgres | LATIN1
depot_production | postgres | LATIN1
depot_test | postgres | LATIN1
postgres | postgres | LATIN1
template0 | postgres | LATIN1
template1 | postgres | LATIN1
(6 rows)

i want to grant all privileges to user "user_name".

as per the tutorial i'm working off of, the mysql
version is...

grant all on depot_development.* to
'user_name'@'localhost'

i was on irc and they said there is no pgsql
equivalent command. i tried to fire up pgadmin3 to
set grant via the gui, bit i can't login. postgres
can't read some log and root requests a password file
when logging in as postgres (no password is set).

i'm kinda lost and a helping hand would be
appreciated.