Switch to Linux Dev Questions

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Switch to Linux Dev Questions
Date: 2006-05-06 05:13:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi all,

why do i have to su to root before i su to postgres
(in order to run psql)? i tried to su from my
username and it asked for a password and said
authentication failed - there is no password.

i su to root and su to postgres and i my bash [i don't
know what it is called] looks like this...

sh-3.1$

what does that mean? i was expecting something like
postgres$.

i ran psql and all seems right now, but i thought this
was not a very intuitive way to get to this point.

also, i tried help in psql and when i got to the end,
i was stuck. there was no intuitive way to get out.
i just saw END with no way to do anything - i closed
the session and started again.

what can i do to avoid closing the session next time?

tia...