CLI Reporting Tool Was: Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

From: James Thompson <jamest(at)ajrs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CLI Reporting Tool Was: Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Date: 2005-11-02 21:54:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I haven't used Oracle since the mid 90s so I don't have a working example
> > but a description of some of the commands can be found here
> >
> > http://www.siue.edu/~dbock/cmis564/otext3.htm
>
> Given the choice, I'd *MUCH* rather have a good, easy-to-use CLI than a
> reporting tool. I'm not a GUI person, so I always hate working with
> Oracle and MSSQL in that regard.

Exactly. We had paid for support for SQL*Reports at that job but never used
it. We either used those sqlplus commands listed in the above URL or a
Fortran(don't ask) program.

> In any case, how much user demand is there for a reporting tool for
> PostgreSQL? Either a seperate tool or better functionality in psql.

I'd like to see it in psql myself.

> Of course speaking up with patches is far better.

I simply don't have the time to throw at it :( However now that I think about
it I believe one of the coders in our project (www.gnuenterprise.org) started
writing a tool a few years back based upon our db interfaces to provide a
cross db sqlplus like CLI. I'll ask him how far he got into it.