libpq and unwanted stderr output

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: libpq and unwanted stderr output
Date: 2005-08-19 17:16:14
Lists: pgsql-general

I have some C programs which use libpq and I do not want them to write
output to the screen (unless, of course, I direct them to do so).
When I use libpq I get unwanted messaged dumped to stderr.

Example (stripped of all error-checking, etc.):

#include "/usr/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h"

int main ()
{
PGconn *conn;
PGresult *res;

conn = PQconnectdb ("dbname=steve");
res = PQexec (conn, "create table x (a text primary key, b text)");
PQclear (res);
PQfinish (conn);
return 0;
}

With nary a printf in sight, the following is nonetheless written to
stderr:
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"x_pkey" for table "x"

These various programs include daemons, backgrounded processes and
user processes (data input and query screens). In all cases these
messages are causing problems. How do I disable this behaviour?

Cheers,
Steve