Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] log archiving and copmpression

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] log archiving and copmpression
Date: 2005-07-23 22:14:26
Lists: buildfarm-members

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 05:34:05PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I am looking at archiving and compressing the collected logs, in
> preparation for uploading the entire set to the server, to meet Tom
> Lane's request.
>
> A single uncompressed log set is nearly 700Kb on my test box, but
> collected and compressed using 'tar -z' it comes to about 56Kb. However,
> I don't know if every machine will have GNU tar with zlib compression
> available. Should I just go ahead and send individual files and not
> worry about bandwidth? Or is there a better portable solution?
>
> Thoughts welcome.

I would suggest making it optional, and have the server decide what to
do based on the file extension (or something similar). If there happens
to be any machines that don't have gzip, they can send uncompressed. I
kinda doubt there's any OS's we support that don't come with tar
(especially if they have perl).

BTW, you might want to consider allowing bzip2 as well; my experience is
that it compresses more than gzip.

-rw-r----- 1 buildfar buildfar 604160 23 Jul 17:12 lastrun.tar
-rw-r----- 1 buildfar buildfar 40618 23 Jul 17:13 lastrun.tar.bz2
-rw-r----- 1 buildfar buildfar 57495 23 Jul 17:13 lastrun.tar.gz
-rw-r----- 1 buildfar buildfar 56667 23 Jul 17:13 lastrun.tar.gz9

(.gz9 is gzip with -9)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org