Re: How to make a good documentation of a database ?

From: George Essig <george_essig(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: David Pradier <dpradier(at)apartia(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to make a good documentation of a database ?
Date: 2004-11-18 17:58:18
Lists: pgsql-general

David Pradier wrote:
> The problem is, I don't want to use a lot of time to maintain this
> documentation, and above all, I'd prefer not to insert the information
> twice (read: a new constraint in the database should automagically
> update the documentation).

You could use the postgresql's comment statement together with postgresql_autodoc. See the
following links for documentation and examples:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-comment.html
http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/
http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/output.html
http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/autodocexample.html