Re: postgres in freebsd jail

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: "Reko Turja" <reko(dot)turja(at)liukuma(dot)net>
Cc: vvikram(at)stanford(dot)edu, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres in freebsd jail
Date: 2004-08-16 13:59:36
Lists: pgsql-general

"Reko Turja" <reko(dot)turja(at)liukuma(dot)net> wrote:

> > I am using postgresql 8.0beta in a freebsd jail environment. My
> > inittdb
> > gives me a message like:
> > ---
> > creating template1 database in /home/..../db/base/1 ... FATAL:
> > could
> > not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
> > DETAIL: Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1187840, 03600).
> > child process exited with exit code 1
> > initdb: failed
>
> Have you enabled jail.sysvipc_allowed sysctl for kernel? I haven't run
> Postgresql in jail myself but as far as I know the sysctl above is
> needed in order to use sysv IPC and shared memory functionality inside
> the jail.

I was unable to get Postgres working in a jail even with this sysctl
enabled. If you look through the archives, you'll see a discussion with
others who have it working just fine.

The upshot is that, personally, I don't know. I have not yet had time to
track down the problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies