Re: Add error-checking to timestamp_recv

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add error-checking to timestamp_recv
Date: 2004-05-20 15:53:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

* Bruce Momjian (pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > I'll see about writing up a proper test case/schema. Looks like I'm
> > probably most of the way there at this point, really. ;)
>
> I wasn't aware you could throw binary values into the timestamp fields
> like that. I thought you needed to use a C string for the value.
>
> Does PREPARE bypass that for some reason?

I don't think so.. As I recall, I think I might have had it set up w/o
using a prepare before and it was working but I'm not sure. It's
certainly very useful and lets me bypass *alot* of overhead
(converting to a string and then making the database convert back...).
The one complaint I do have is that I don't see a way to pass a
timestamp w/ an explicit timezone in binary format into a table which
has a 'timestamp with timezone' field. I can pass a binary timestamp
into a 'timestamp with timezone' field, but it's interpreted as UTC or
the local timezone (can't remember which atm).

Stephen