Re: pg_ctl problem

From: jseymour(at)LinxNet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl problem
Date: 2004-04-09 00:23:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Alexander Cohen <alex(at)toomuchspace(dot)com> wrote:

[snip]
> > Why not
> > just get rid of the space and save yourself the current, and possibly
> > future, grief?
>
> because this is an app for users and they might have spaces in their
> path.

*Users* are starting up postmaster? *shrug* ISTM you're left with the
following choices:

1. Work at it until you've figured-out just the right
combination of shell escapes to get the path though pg_ctl's
"cooking." The prior caveat applies: If pg_ctl is modified
relative to that switch's argument handling, it'll break again.

2. Modify pg_ctl so the argument, in all its processing, is
preserved with embedded spaces. Of course, the next release of
pgsql would require re-doing it if pg_ctl is changed.

3. Talk pgsql's developers into fixing the "problem."
(If you fix it, as in #2, you could submit a patch.)

4. Tell your users not to do that. Spaces in pathnames are
pure evil anyway. A problem generally only found with end-users
using (only) point-n-drool tools.

Personally, looking at pg_ctl's code, I think #1 is exceedingly
unlikely to succeed. #2 (and, by extension, #3) looks kind of
iffy, too.

Good luck.

--
Jim Seymour | Spammers sue anti-spammers:
jseymour(at)LinxNet(dot)com | http://www.LinxNet.com/misc/spam/slapp.php