Re: Fixed width rows faster?

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au (Christopher Kings-Lynne)
Cc: pg(at)rbt(dot)ca (Rod Taylor), josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com (Josh Berkus), wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com (Bill Moran), threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org (Jeff), pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org (Postgresql Performance)
Subject: Re: Fixed width rows faster?
Date: 2004-03-06 04:32:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

> >>You don't consider a requirement that a field be no longer than a
> >>certain length a reason not to use TEXT?
>
> Can't you just create a TEXT(255) field same as you can just create
> VARCHAR (with no length) field? I think they're basically synonyms for
> each other these days.

I'll defer to the SQL standard gurus on this, as well as to the internals
guys, but I suspect there is a difference between the standard itself
and implementor details, such as how char, varchar, varchar2 and text
are implemented. As long as things work as specified, I don't think
the standard cares much about what's happening behind the curtain.
--
Mike Nolan