Re: SET TIME ZONE with GMT+X notation

From: <jason_priebe(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SET TIME ZONE with GMT+X notation
Date: 2003-08-14 12:46:52
Lists: pgsql-general

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=functions-datetime.html#FUNCTIONS-DATETIME-CURRENT

> particularly the point about
>
> It is important to realize that CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
> and related functions
> return the start time of the current transaction;
> their values do not
> change during the transaction. timeofday() returns
> the wall clock time
> and does advance during transactions.

Yep. I understand that. We're having some issues
with our application where gradually the values from
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP fall further and further behind.
As far as we know, we don't have any transactions
open. We are, however, using PHP's pg_pconnect()
function to connect to the database. The only thing
I can think of is that perhaps a transaction is left
hanging (perhaps due to abnormal termination of a
process), and then another process picks up that
pooled connection and "inherits" the open transaction?
It doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's the only
thing I can think of.

-Jason Priebe