Re: SET TIME ZONE with GMT+X notation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jason_priebe(at)yahoo(dot)com (Jason Priebe)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SET TIME ZONE with GMT+X notation
Date: 2003-08-13 20:23:30
Lists: pgsql-general

jason_priebe(at)yahoo(dot)com (Jason Priebe) writes:
> Note that it uses timeofday() for the default for one timestamp and
> "now" for the default for the other (we've been experimenting with the
> differences between the two, as we've seen some serious drift in the
> values returned by "now" -- but that's another story).

Uh, have you read
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=functions-datetime.html#FUNCTIONS-DATETIME-CURRENT

particularly the point about

It is important to realize that CURRENT_TIMESTAMP and related functions
return the start time of the current transaction; their values do not
change during the transaction. timeofday() returns the wall clock time
and does advance during transactions.