Using temp tables

From: Andreas Schmitz <a(dot)schmitz(at)cityweb(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using temp tables
Date: 2003-07-18 08:23:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello *,

we started the use of temporary tables for evaluating data.

create temp table xxx ....

<evaluationcode>

drop temp table xxx;

We encountered some strange errors about relation exists or even does not
exist from server and application site. I started to look after orphan temp
tables. No orphans were left but I found namespace entries in pg_namespace.

select * from pg_namespace;
nspname | nspowner | nspacl
------------+----------+--------
pg_catalog | 1 | {=U}
pg_toast | 1 | {=}
public | 1 | {=UC}
pg_temp_1 | 1 |
pg_temp_8 | 1 |
pg_temp_11 | 1 |
pg_temp_10 | 1 |
pg_temp_6 | 1 |
pg_temp_4 | 1 |
pg_temp_3 | 1 |
pg_temp_14 | 1 |
pg_temp_2 | 1 |
pg_temp_5 | 1 |
pg_temp_12 | 1 |
(14 rows)

I did a vacuum full and analyze but this pg_temp namespaces are still there.
Any ideas about that phenomena ?

best regards

-Andreas Schmitz

--
Andreas Schmitz - Phone +49 201 8501 318
Cityweb-Technik-Service-Gesellschaft mbH