Re: Performance on temp table inserts

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance on temp table inserts
Date: 2003-05-19 22:04:58
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jeff,

> Box #1 is our "production" server, and actually has more going on during
> the day than #2 which is the "test" server. #1 has "shared_buffers" set
> to 131072; #2 has it at 250000. Hardware, O/S and PostgreSQL versions are
> all identical. Software executing the query (Perl code using DBI) is the
> same.

First, I think you need to join the PGSQL-PERFORMANCE list; we discuss things
like your issue all the time there.

Collective wisdom on that list is that shared_buffer settings above 5000-6000
actually degrade performance by robbing the kernel buffer of resources. The
postgres shared_buffers are just a "holding area" for operations spooling to
the kernel buffer which actually does most of the work.

HTH.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions