Plans for index names unique to a table?

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Plans for index names unique to a table?
Date: 2003-05-08 20:06:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Are there any plans to make index names unique to a table instead of
to a schema? I was thinking similar to the way that constraints are
handled. It's not really necessary, but it would be kinda nice when
indexing a column across all tables in a schema that share the same
column name.

CREATE SCHEMA s;
CREATE TABLE s.a (x_id INT);
CREATE TABLE s.b (x_id INT);
CREATE TABLE s.c (x_id INT);
CREATE INDEX x_id_idx ON s.a (x_id);
CREATE INDEX x_id_idx ON s.b (x_id);
CREATE INDEX x_id_idx ON s.c (x_id);

Instead of:

CREATE INDEX a_x_id_idx ON s.a (x_id);
CREATE INDEX b_x_id_idx ON s.b (x_id);
CREATE INDEX c_x_id_idx ON s.c (x_id);

It's cosmetic like I said, but I couldn't figure out a reason for why
index names weren't unique to a given table like constraints.

Curious,
Sean

--
Sean Chittenden